[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using extra anchors
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 01:40:05 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/01 10:18:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric_schurman@hotmail.com writes:

> My plan was to use a Rohn hinged base, nailed into the ground with 3' long
>  steel nails, assemble the tower on the ground, attach the guys and lights,
>  then pivot the tower up on the hinge (I've got lots of manpower) and
attach
>  the guys to the anchors, for which I'm considering the Rohn GAS604 4' long
>  screw anchors.

    I'm not too impressed with the Rohn screw-in anchors - they're kinda
small. I would get bigger ones. Make some phone calls to utility company
suppliers and see what they've got (Western States Distributing is one in the
Seattle area). You'll probably need a couple of people and a long bar to
screw them in but they'll be stronger.

    I would also consider using one anchor per guy wire, or at least a
separate one for the top set. That way you'd spread the forces over a couple
of anchors. If you can put the anchors out farther - say 100 or 120% or more
- that'll reduce somewhat the forces on the anchors.

    Guy segment BZ in your drawing is unnecessary particularly if you follow
the above scenario.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,