[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using extra anchors
From: eric_schurman@hotmail.com (Eric Schurman)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 19:34:37 -0000
>It makes no sense at all to use grips and clamps.  Grips replace clamps in
>the functionality they perform.  Go to my Website www.erols.com/n3rr and
>click on Guying Subsystem to see what these grips look like.  They are
>called ROHN Big Grips (for the steel wire) and PLP Glass Grips (for the
>fiberglass wire).

Ah... thanks for the pointer. This looks great.

>I cannot visualize how 25 people (or any number of people) will be able to
>lift a 80-90 ft structure, unless there
>is a nearby (say within 25-30 feet or so) a 100 foot building from which
>the
>25 people are holding heavy duty pull ropes out windows at each of the four
>stories of the building.  Please explain to us how you invision 25 people
>doing this job.

I was thinking that people could be arranged along the length lifting and
then three sets of people could pull on the three different guys to pull it
up. However, I have had enough people on this list tell me that this is a
bad idea that I have decided not to even attempt this. Out of curiosity,
what is the most length of tower that you WOULD feel comfortable raising on
the hinged base?

>A week-and-a-half access???  I know you have not revealed the purpose of
>the
>tower to us, but wow, that's a short period of time to line up all the help
>needed for this project.  Do you mean it will be installed and dismantled
>in
>a week and a half?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be secretive. This is a tower that will have lights
at the top that will be used as a beacon at several different art festivals
each year. One of the festivals is held in the blackrock desert where they
have the Leave No Trace policy described earlier.

-Eric