[TowerTalk] Re: Fw: Crank-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Fw: Crank-up
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 00:30:18 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/01 11:52:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k3est@mother.com
writes:

> [...]

    I just spent a couple of days at the UST factory learning about their
towers and that was one of my questions. I got the name of the grease that
they would paint on the tower sliding part but it turns out they don't use it
anymore. The reason was that it attracted too much dirt and grit. It's also
really messy to apply and they did it with a brush.

    Now they use beeswax to help things slide better during assembly. It
would be practically impossible to put this on yourself on a finished tower
so I guess my answer is that there isn't anything the factory specifically
recommends for sliding tower section greasing.

    Perhaps you could use some light lubricating substance like WD-40,
silicon spray or something similar. While it wouldn't be too long lasting as
the rain would wash it away, it probably wouldn't hurt to do it a couple of
times a year. Even that would be helpful.

    I'm going to post this on TowerTalk since there are lots of crank-up
owners wondering about the same thing. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="a">http://www.championradio.com</A>

-----