[TowerTalk] 4130? Maybe - maybe not.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4130? Maybe - maybe not.
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:05:23 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/01 12:38:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> Frankly, if you are trying to judge between 7075 and 6061, I'd go with
>  6061. 7075 isn't much stronger, and it can be really expensive. 6061 is
>  pretty common.

    I agree and all of the above is true.

>  If 6061 doesn't have enough strength, just bite the bullet
>  and go with 4130 chrome-moly steel. 4130 is much stronger than any kind
>  of aluminum you can find, with yeild strengths to 90,000 psi and beyond.

    Don't forget, guys, there ARE other carbon steel alloy tubes besides
chromoly. They're isn't as strong as 4130 but most people don't need it. It's
also less expensive. An SAE 1026 or 1027 has approximately 65,000 psi yield
strength (good for 90% of the applications I'm involved in) and is about 50%
the price of 4130. I hate to see people spend money that they don't have to.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----