[TowerTalk] Guy wire type

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire type
From: JerryC" <jerryc@netscope.net (JerryC)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:09:49 -0400
My 40' tower is nearly ready to go up.   For now I am only going to install
the
10M  4el. yagi at 50' on the 2" SAE 1026 mast.  The rotor is about 5' down
from top of tower.
I decided to put the Imax vertical in the top of a nearby tree rather than
above the yagi.
The base is a super duty hinged unit set in concrete.   Guying was going to
be kavlar at 25'
and 40' until I got the quotes back.   I am using 6 ground screw anchors
(one for each guy) out about 32'.
I am in a 70 mph wind zone.
Now the question:
Seems nearly everyone in the nearby area is using aircraft cable rather than
ehs.  I ran the numbers on
my application and the working load on the cable is greater than the wind
load at 80 mph (with guys at the
top level only).  The breaking strength is about 3 to 4 times the load.   I
know aircraft cable is not recommended
by many but some tower mfg. do use it and I am guying at two levels rather
than one.
I only plan to use this tower for about two years before upgrading to a 50'
crankup.
Any thoughts or comments.

JerryC
jerryc@netscope.net
no call sign yet  (still working on the code)

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----