[TowerTalk] How far down should the rotor be located

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How far down should the rotor be located
From: JerryC" <jerryc@netscope.net (JerryC)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 14:02:13 -0400
I am almost ready to put up my little 40' guyed tower.  Everything is here
or on the
ups truck.  There is a lot of discussion on mast stress and material type
but haven't
seen anything on how far the rotor should be below the thrust bearing.   I
am using 2" o.d.
x 3/16" wall sae 1026 tuning.  It came from the steel supplier at 21'-6"
long.  I am mounting
a 4 el 10M vee (elements are up on 45 degrees on each side of boom) circular
polarized antenna
10' above the tower top.  The rotor is a Yaesu G800SA.  In the future I will
probable remove
the 4el 10M vee and install a 3 el tri-bander about three feet up and put a
small vhf stack on top.

How far down should the rotor be located in relation to the height of mast
above the thrust bearing?
I could use the whole mast but would rather minimize the weight.  I want the
rotor far enough down
to minimize the side load on it.  Any suggestions??
Thanks
JerryC
jerryc@netscope.net
no call yet (still working on the code)

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----