[TowerTalk] Anchor placement - Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anchor placement - Rohn 45G
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:34:12 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/01 4:58:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w5kp@swbell.net
writes:

> This will
>  also be my first experience with big grips, so that's another little
>  learning curve. I hope they work as slick as people say. Is it advisable
(or
>  permissible) to add a cable clamp for insurance near the dead end of big
>  grips?

    There is no dead end with Preformed grips - the guy wire goes straight
into the grip.

>  Have read a couple of scare stories about them suddenly slipping,
>  don't need that when my old wrinkley butt's up there.

    Unless the wrong grip is used for a given cable (wrong lay, wrong
material, etc.) it's hard to see how it would slip even under pretty large
forces. If it slips - something is wrong somewhere. I guess it would be
possible but the chances are pretty danged remote.

>  Still looking
>  locally for a mast, haven't been able to find anybody yet in the Oklahoma
>  City area who even knows what SAE 1026 or 1027 2" tubing is, but have only
>  talked to pipe guys, need to talk to the specialty tubing guys, I guess, or
>  the race car shops. All I've see so far here is ASTM "A-xxx" specs for
>  oilfield pipe, vice automotive chassis tubing. Since this is an oil town,
>  lots of folks have 1-1/2" heavy wall pipe that is 1.900" OD, but the yield
>  specs on it are only about 30,000 to 35,000 lb, which is about half of what
>  I understand the SAE stuff is. Of course, you can get it in wall
thicknesses
>  up to 5/8" (would that be a heavy mast or what!). I'll keep looking.

    Yes - the pipe guys are the wrong ones to be talking to. You need a real
tubing supplier and I'll bet you a nickel there's at least one in OK City.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----