[TowerTalk] Guy wire resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire resonance
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:30:21 -0500
Thanks for all the helpful replies on my previous question on this subject.
One Talkian pointed out that Phillystran isn't that much more expensive than
steel, and of course does away with all the guy wire resonance problems. I
didn't believe him at first, but I did some some arithmetic, and danged if
doing this 74-foot 45G with Phillystran doesn't come out only about $150
more than using steel EHS, and I wouldn't have to get carpal tunnel
installing a bazillion insulators. It's amazing how things add up when you
are buying upwards of 25 insulators, 50+ preforms, several hundred feet of
EHS, a whole bunch of thimbles, etc. etc.

So now, whilst waiting for the local power company to mark their buried
lines near the tower site,  I'm rethinking my position and looking to
possibly go to Phillystran. Is Texas Towers the only game in town for this
stuff and it's associated accessories like grips? Nothing against TT, they
have always treated me well, just wondered if they have a lock on the
market. Are there any pitfalls or horror stories about Phillystran I should
hear?
Thanks,
Jerry W5KP

P.S. Another pat on the back for National Electronics in Shawnee Mission,
Kansas, from whom I ordered the 45G and related stuff. One section that was
mangled in transit by a wildhaired American Freightways forklift driver was
replaced in two business days, prepaid freight, with nary a hint of hassle.
I like the way these people do business.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----