[TowerTalk] Breaking up guy wires for nonresonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Breaking up guy wires for nonresonance
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:33:37 -0400
Ken blends a number of things together in his post. Let's separate them
out:

Proportions are at issue. Most of the time I have seen a tribander and a
two meter 10 element or some such up together, the two meter job has
been five, six, ten feet above the tribander.  This is like 50 or 100
feet separation on HF. The elements near the 2m driven element are
something like ten, twelve inches apart. The interactions  between the
2m elements have the time (space) to form before the tribander below
comes into play. To keep it analogous or proportional with the HF
problem, IF you put that 2m beam inline with the tribander boom, only
five inches above it, you WOULD get notable interaction, because one of
the elements of the tribander is JUST AS TIGHTLY COUPLED into the 2m
beam as its other elements.

In the case of an 8JK, both elements are driven and create PRIMARY areas
of partial cancellation IN THE NEAR FIELD. None such happens with a
yagi. The primary radiation from the driven element is like a dipole.
Only hole is off the ends.

In the case of an HF triband or monoband yagi (what most people on this
reflector are talking about) at the top of a tower with guy wires to
within a few feet of top, the guy wire is right smack in the dense part
of the near field, CAN have significant current on it, CAN distort the
pattern. Put it in the model. It doesn't radiate only when it
serendipitously just happens to balance out by some happy aspect of the
instant orientation of the yagi elements and the length and orientation
of the guy wire. From there rotate the yagi a bit and you're back into
interaction. Or don't rotate it and see how much is radiating off the
other two guys.

On HF that upper guy is just like a snake in your pant leg. Plenty close
enough to cause trouble. Best not ignore it.

73

Guy Olinger
Apex, NC, USA