[TowerTalk] Pulley wheel (Sheave)replacements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pulley wheel (Sheave)replacements
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:10:05 -0700
JB are the sheave bodies shot or just the bearings? I replaced the
bearings in my TX472 with minimal trouble. The local bearing suppliers
found the bearings used by UST are obsolete but had sealed bearings with
the right OD. ID was too large but they had some bronze sleeve bushings
which were right OD for bearing ID and right ID for thru bolts. I
pressed out the old bearings with my bench vise and using a socket of
the right OD to pass thru the sheave hole. Put new cables on the tower
and everything back operating. 73, Dan, N5AR

asfco wrote:

> Here is what I found out regarding replacement sheaves for the EZ Way
> tower.
>      First off,  Jim at Applied Mechanical Devices  was of little help,
> He did fax me a sheet of their available sheaves but this was only a
> copy out of the Mcmaster-Carr Catalog.
>   Sava Industries of NJ who specialize in wire rope sheaves do not have
> anything close to the size needed....I discovered that the sheaves are
> all too thick for the application on an EZ Way Tower. US Tower was not
> really even willing to help but did say the pulleys they use are all 5"
> I checked with several other sources all with the same result...
>   So I am stumped on this one.......unless someone out there has BTDT
> and lets the rest of us in on where to find these sheaves it looks like
> they would have to be custom
> made
> Anyone else out there with suggestions ????     I know from receiving
> off list inquiries for info that  there are more than a handfull of hams
> who are in need of these
> I tried
> 73
> de JB     W2GB
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us