[TowerTalk] Telephone Poles??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telephone Poles??
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:05:53 -0500
Ok, gotta weigh in on this so I can sleep nights, lest somebody spend his
later years in a wheelchair because I failed to at least put out the
warning:  Utility poles are usually pressure treated. The pressure treating
chemicals, over time, will eat metal that is not hot-dip galvanized. One of
these days a cheapo screw-in deer stand step will kill somebody if they are
misused in this application. It's akin to using the rope from your kid's
pull toy to belt on with at 75'. It's just not smart. I suppose I'll draw
comments from those who have been using 30-penny spikes to climb on for 50
years, but I'll stick to my guns on this one. Buy the real hot-dip
galvanized steps, install them properly, and live to be old and crabby like
me.

If the $ required for a safe step installation are simply unavailable,
either stay off poles or learn from an experienced climber to use hooks,
which are very safe if used exactly, precisely, and correctly right every
time. The room for error is very small, however, on hooks. For example, get
the inside of your knee too close to the pole just once, and you could
easily be on the ground looking up, picking slivers and splinters out of
your chest - assuming you survived the descent.

Ok, I've done my duty. I know there are guys out there who freeclimb towers
all the time, too. So all you bulletproof "I'm gonna live forever" guys can
now go to Wal-Mart for your climbing and safety gear, and have at it, and I
won't have to feel bad about it. While you're there, don't forget to pick up
a few of the pretty little aluminum carabiners in the plastic jar at the
checkout counter. At 30 cents each, why pay $18 a pop for the real ones that
the rock climbers use? Heck, these seem like they oughta work just fine...
:-)

73, Jerry W5KP