[TowerTalk] Take down Rohn 25G tower with crane?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Take down Rohn 25G tower with crane?
From: n1lo@hotmail.com (Mark .)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:39:36 -0400
Hello all,
Thank you for the replies so far, both on and off list. Scott knows the
person who owns the crane, so it can be had for fuel costs, I suspect.

I like the temporary guying ideas, and I feel that this would work to make
the tower safe to climb for rigging a crane lift or conventional
dismantling.

We are leaning toward a crane lift and laydown, since there will be little
cost for the crane and it will be safer. The base is a pier pin with a
single bolt. Since the joint bolts may have been overtightened during
installation, I expect difficulty in separating the tower sections. I do
have a tower jack.
If we take the tower down with a crane, the work of removing the rusty bolts
and separating the joints can be distributed among a larger ground crew than
having one or two climbers perform this work up the tower.

The best suggestion I heard for removing the rusty bolts is to carefully cut
off the heads with an abrasive disc and tap the bolts out with a punch.

Any more ideas are welcomed.

thanks!

--...MARK_N1LO...--