[TowerTalk] Trees Impeding HF Signals?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees Impeding HF Signals?
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:00:08 -0700
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:21:36 -0400, Nat Heatwole wrote:

>This is substantially more of an issue at VHF/UHF, but I'm wondering how
>much trees/shrubbery impede signals at HF?

When I lived in the Seattle area I had a number of 110+ foot tall
Douglas firs about 20 feet from my antenna, completely covering
the path to Europe.  I wondered the same thing - are they
absorbing RF?

As far as I could tell, the answer is no.  Signal strengths from
other directions at about the same distance were the same.  My
observations went on over a seven year period, during which time
I put about 25,000 QSOs in the log, mostly RTTY, mostly during
contests.

I realize this is not a scientific comparison at all, but after
that much operating, I am sure my observations were correct.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W7TI

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----