[TowerTalk]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk]
From: blueis@sprintmail.com (Gary B ( RVN 'BTO' ))
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:42:03 -0400
Greetings to all...

As the newest of the TT Newbies, I continued to be marvelled by the scope of
information passing between the group members.  A BIG tip o' the hat to you
all.

However, most info exchanged in this forum deals with specific issues.  As
someone getting on HF after a thirty-year absence, I am planning to install
a tower and HF yagi.  My question:  Is there a single source of information
for tower installation, grounding, cable routing, etc??  I need basic
information... perhaps a compilation of 'best practices'.  I recognize that
EVERY installation is different.  But there has to be a book or something
that reminds me, for example, to ground my coax at the point of entry into
the house...  isn't there?!?  What are the basic procedures/tasks/practices
to install a tower and HF yagi??

I would like to end with a suggestion.  And I am very serious!  I believe
this group should undertake the project of writing a book.  The book should
address each of the issues associated with tower, antenna, rotor, etc.
installation/maintenance.  Many individuals in the mail-list have specific
interests and expertise.  Let these people write the chapters on those
issues.  Grounding/Lightning protection is a issue that comes to mind as an
example.  Not interested in putting this together as a commercial venture??
Put it on the web!  I would bet that it would be one of the most-visited ham
sites on the 'Net!!

Well, anyway...  thanks for the info I've gleaned so far.  My tower is due
to arrive late August.  I've got a lot to do until then.  I just wish I knew
what it was!

Gary B
K3GB
RVN BTO