[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:53:05 EDT
In a message dated 7/27/01 10:25:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w7ti@dslextreme.com writes:

>  If all a person wants to do is maximize their score, then SO2R is the
>  way to go.  Think of all you don't have to worry about:
>
>  1.  No band strategy.  You're monitoring all of them all the time.
>  2.  No knowledge of propagation.  When a band opens, you're there.
>  3.  No decision whether to CQ or S&P.  You are doing both.
>  4.  No real radio smarts required.  Only manual dexterity.

Why didn't I think of that!

While people are arguing about SO2R, I am trying to figure out SO4R on the
same band. Two radios on different bands is chicken feed.

Must be hard for RF scrambled brains to figure out that Ham Radio Contesting
is a technical sport. Parameters and categories are set in the rules (power
levels, band categories, OP categories). This is a challenge for us to figure
out how to use technology to enhance our operating and scores within the
rules (packet = someone else is helping you) So forget about crying about too
many rigs etc. If one is serious about winning, he will go for the max, if
you can afford it (time and/or money) go for it. If you can't, settle into
category that suits you best and gives you more fun and go for it too.
Stop worrying about how many keyers, rigs, computers, that is a part of the
game. We have already diluted categories and have some that don't even get
competitors. If it ain't hard, it ain't no challenge, it ain't no worth going
after it. What is the point of competing for something that has already 1000
"winners"?
Has anyone got plans for multiplier robot? Please reply directly to me, I
will summarize it :-)

Just recuperating from extraction of the kidney stone, contest weekend is a
vacation compared to this experience, ouch!

Yuri, K3BU

-----