[TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjustable lanyard
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:12:08 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/01 4:19:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
w7ti@dslextreme.com writes:

> I'm looking for an adjustable safety lanyard.  I have a tapered tower
>  which I like to climb with the lanyard attached to my safety belt.
>  Because of the taper, I actually have three different lanyards attached,
>  which I change as the tower diameter gets smaller.  I know lots of guys
>  climb without a lanyard until they reach the working area, but I like to
>  have it on the whole way up and down.
>
>  So, does anyone know of one which has some kind of slide mechanism for
>  quickly shortening or lengthening the lanyard?  That three-lanyard
>  business is a PITA.

Hi, Bill --

    For your situation (a Trylon Titan tower with angle braces and legs), I
would suggest having a lanyard that goes between the D-rings and has a big
gorilla/rebar hook attached to the middle. You can hook that on just about
any diagonal very quickly and then you're free to make any adjustments to
your other lanyard. This would eliminate one of your lanyards. Iron workers
and some tower pros use this very technique with most of the lanyards being
made out of small chain. The only thing is that you have to be careful
because you can get whacked pretty good in a very tender spot with this big
chunk of steel dangling between your legs.

Cheers,    Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----