[TowerTalk] Voltage or Current Balun?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Voltage or Current Balun?
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:56:57 -0400

I'm in the midst of erecting a tower for my quaint little A3S. In
readying the A3S, I need to consider how to add a balun.

Cushcraft recommends a coiled coax balun, which I know would work great,
and I have used it before. But, for several reasons, I have decided to
forgo the coiled coax balun.

Some time ago, I purchased a bunch of ferrite beads that are large enough
to slip over RG-213. I have 25 of these (totally 28 inches). I intended
to use this as the balun for the A3S. Because of the sheer size and
weight of this balun, I've decided to look at alternates.

What I'd like to do is mount a balun in a small, plastic box near the
feedpoint, and mount a standard SO-239 connector. This avoids the
"splitting the coax" problem with this antenna. The question I have is --
what kind of balun?

I have a toroidial balun kit for a voltage-type balun that I could use.
But I'm considering ordering a kit for a current-type balun.

Power handling capability isn't really an issue here. I know some people
have had trouble trying to run a full gallon into some current-type
baluns. I don't own an amplifier. If I ever did, it would probably be in
the 400-1000 watt range.

Opinions? Are current-type baluns better for a wide-range antenna such as
the A3S?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----