[TowerTalk] Antenna Resonance: ratio to height AGL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Resonance: ratio to height AGL
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton KB8XU)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:38:47 -0400
Hello again,

In my last post, a thank you for all the help/advice/information I received
from TowerTalkians about prepping my rotatable dipole by CushCraft, I
included this addendum:

"By the way, like Peter, I too was looking forward to Kevins antenna saga.
I doubt we're all too busy to give him some advice. It may seem
tiresome to feel u r asked to repeat information, but if we stop repeating
it we start forgetting it. Plus, as Hams we need fresh inquisitive people
to go where lots of others have gone before (sorry about the Star Trek
pun). Without new hams, our hobby will disappear with our generation (the
baby boomers and older). The more that new hams learn-- the more value they
will be to the hobby."
This addendum did not accurately reflect my concern so please bear with me
as I try to clarify:

Tower Talk, Top Band, and a few other reflectors I know of are the major
sources of "in depth" theory and technical discussion about various aspects
of our hobby.  These reflectors are valuable educational resources, as well
as providing their more immediate service as information and advice centers
to help us with our specific questions of the moment.

I will not presume to speak for Peter, sm2cew.  I was looking forward to
reading about Kevins specific problem for one reason: the first or second
post I read after Kevins question was posted was a rather controversial
statement about how this subject had been covered recently and Kevin had
not bothered to research, or go through the archives, or....anyway I'm sure
you all get the idea.  This post was not the usual response that most
questions receive on Tower Talk.

Any of us that have posted questions understand that the vast majority of
than just the one who posted the question.  For example Brian,K3KO posted
the measurements for my question about dipole resonance at different
heights AGL because a lot of people have CushCraft dipoles.  Many other
points were exchanged with Brian, Tom N4KG, and several other hams by
private email to avoid wasting TT bandwidth on questions and answers that
only apply to my specific installation.  Additionally, many newer TT
readers may not realize that some TTalkians pay for email by the word or
other fee for service methodology.

Most of us know getting a response to a posted question by private email is
typical, but what of the newer TTalkians?  If all they read was the posted
response to Kevins question (the post where he got BLASTED)--I bet they
will think long and hard before posting anything to TT.  No one wants to
appear stupid or be made to feel inadequate.

On the other hand there are some people who are just lazy, or ill prepared,
or just want someone else to spoon feed the information to them.  (come to
think of it I believe I've seen that face in the mirror from time to time.
hi hi!)  They need to be dealt with on an individual basis IMO. (like
Steve, LXC always says, flaming or even the start of it, belongs off the
reflector.  If someone does engage in flaming they should be unsubscribed
from the reflector--no fuel--no flames.)

So thanks again to all of you.  For those who are considering posting a
question--please, go ahead and post it, you'll be pleasantly
surprised!  Also please do learn how to access the archives and search
function for TowerTalk at contesting dot com.

73 de Frank kb8xu

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----