[TowerTalk] 69kV to 115kV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 69kV to 115kV
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:54:16 -0500
John Phillips - K2QAI
ARRL Lab
RFI Engineer

writes privately:

>...The reality is that the operator of an incidental radiator,
>which includes power lines, is governed by the FCC Part 15 rules which
state
>simply that they have to do it right, but there is no definition of what
>"right" is. Here is a quote from the ARRL web page having to do with Part
15
>and it says as follows:
>
>..."Incidental radiators: These include devices like motors and power
lines.
>Part 15 requires that they use good engineering and that they not cause
>harmful interference to radio services. "
>
>In effect, it means that if they cause harmful interference, they must
>correct it or cease using the device. One other thing you should be aware
of
>is the fact that high-voltage devices can have corona discharge and the FCC
>has ruled and has stayed with that ruling for decades, that corona is a
>"natural phenomenon" and do not require power companies to fix such things.
>I am not sure whether you can object to installation of higher voltage
lines
>on the basis that corona discharge at some time in the future could cause
RF
>interference, but you could certainly try that approach. On a positive
note,
>interference from corona discharge does not radiate for the long distances
>that sparking and arcing does.

Apparently, there are no hard-and-fast limits on RFI from power poles.  Only
that they be "engineered" properly.  According to John, there are no tests I
can perform to "prove" that they interfere with my radio.  Can this be true?

I have a HP spectrum analyser at my QTH.  If there were a test set-up that
demonstrates the interference, I might get some action around here.  Without
standards for comparison, I'm screwed!  Anybody know of standards?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----