[TowerTalk] 75M Rotatable Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 75M Rotatable Dipoles
From: coneal@ma.ultranet.com (Chuck O'Neal)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:01:24 -0400

" The discomfort I have with that idea is I just
spent a couple of paychecks on Phillystran, and I hate to think I'd negate
all that expensive electrical isolation by hanging a bunch of wires from the
top of the tower. Wouldn't they act much like the metal guys I just spent
bucks to avoid using? [Chuck O'Neal] Yes, but you can easily remove
the wires and still have the tower! Guys are a lot harder to change.

So, the question: Would an 80M inverted V a few feet below the C3XLD have a
negative effect on its pattern/swr? The C3XLD consists of three end-to-end
"monobanders", with three separate baluns and feed lines and no traps,
sleeves, or loading gimmicks, which is why I'm hoping I will like it.
[Chuck O'Neal]  Try it.  You probably will find that on one band
there may be some interaction.  Characterize the CX3LD by measuring
F/B with a local ham on each band before putting up the 80M
inv V.  Then  measure F/B with the 80M ant up to see if there is any
difference. Measuring SWR probably won't hurt either, but I have seen
significant degradation without a noticeable change in SWR. Ten
years ago I did this to answer questions about stacking monobanders
for different bands.
I put up one at a time and measured the F/B over frequency and attempted
to measure relative gain. Then I added the next antenna and did the same for
both antennas.  Then the same for the third antenna.  Yes, there are
significant affects on the higher frequency antennas by the lower
frequency antennas.

Tks for all the thoughtful and interesting inputs!
73, Jerry

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,