[TowerTalk] my KT34XA is high on 10-15m after cleaning contacts !!!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] my KT34XA is high on 10-15m after cleaning contacts !!!
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:03:26 -0700
Hi Marc,

I had the same problem when rebuilding a KT-34XA. I could not get the capacitor
tube straps tight with just a single layer of aluminum shim material. I used
two layers
of .010" (.25mm) shim material, in additional to a SS sheet metal screw which I
installed
diagonally across the tube (tangent to the outside surface) to pull the ends of
the strap
closer together. With this arrangement, I was able to get all of the straps
very tight
(no rotation even with anti-oxidant coating). I used NoAlox on the first half
of the
antenna, and then switched over to silicon high vacuum grease after hearing some
negative opinions about NoAlox (I figured it would be an interesting
experiment).

The antenna worked the first time up using the factory dimensions as been
working
fine for over a year now. Alternatively, M-Squared (K6MYC), sells a rebuild kit
for
the KT-34XA that replaces all of the straps with machined aluminum blocks. Not
sure
what the price is, but it looks very nice (see www.M2inc.com).

73 de Mike, W4EF.................