[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Tubing Strength (was: Increasingeffective 4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Tubing Strength (was: Increasingeffective 4SQR array bandwidth???
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:27:47 -0400

> Tom, wouldn't that make 20' sections of 4" irrigation pipe the
> material of choice for large (over 40') verticals? Only problem is, I
> have no idea what grade of aluminum they are made of. 73, Jerry

Very interesting Tom.

I am still trying to make 80 meter verticals that hold up well. I was
thinking or irrigation tubing, but it is so soft and thin it scares me. I
don't mind guying it, but installing the irrigation tubing seems to be
a problem.

I was thinking of having Hygain send me boom material like 2" x
.125 wall 6061-T6 swedged to fit the next section in nine 8 foot
sections.

I didn't want to taper because of the shortening effect, and
bandwidth reduction, unless I can offset that with a hat at top.

Is there software available for calculating stresses, or proven plans
that work for an 80-meter vertical that is easy to erect?

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----