[TowerTalk] halfwave verticals -Elevated

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] halfwave verticals -Elevated
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:26:41 -0700
K7GCO wrote:

>I've run patterns of verticals with radials 10 or more WL long and it shows
>some promise.  I have a location where I will be able to do that.  Has
anyone
>any experience with this?

I don't know what program you used, but I ran
a bunch of simulations on NEC3-GS.  The results
are fairly discouraging.  With 10 WL long radials,
you need thousands to be effective.  And even
then, you don't get all that much advantage over
an FCC ground (120 1/2 wave radials).  It never
approaches the proverbial desert island surrounded
by salt water.

I also built a 20 meter vertical with closely
spaced radials 4 WL long.  It didn't do anything
amazing in terms of DX performance.  It is
documented at:  http://www.karlquist.com/ground.pdf

Let me know if you get results that either agree or
disagree with mine.

BTW, I can make you a real good deal on 90 lbs
of magnet wire on a single spool if you want
to put out "disposable" radials!

Rick N6RK

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----