[TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What about hams with small lots???
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:43:51 -0400
Ed,

The Uni-Hat vertical is a very effective vertical for 160 and 80 (I never
tried it on 40 as I have the 2 el 40 and its a killer
at just below 90').    The problems lie in trying to put down radials and I
always want more than one antenna for low bands
as I have found that one works better than another at different times.   The
rub is that having several wire antennas up for 80 and 160
along with the Uni-Hat or the W6BCX Multee and associated radials, guy wires
and the like create all sorts of interactions especially on 160 where often
several frequencies are blocked by intermod caused by the sheer amount of
wire in my limited space.  Not only that
(as you found) an antenna such as the Uni-Hat causes a real spark from
intermod with local high power BC stations that drives most SWR analyzers
crazy.  Then there is RFI of all sorts and you cure one and another pops up.
The gang with the big multi op stations see some of these problems.

I feel the best compromise solution is to put up one tower and put a big
tri-bander on it (KT34XA, TH11, Sommer XP807 etc) and a 40 meter beam above
that.   I cover 40 to 10 on one tower this way.   On 80 and 160 I feel one
good vertical such as the Uni-Hat or if you have more room a grounded half
square for 160 that does a great job on 80 too and at least one  inverted V
or K8UR vertical dipole to give you antenna choices.   I use a Mor-gain
short 80 (66') in K8UR style and the bend in the sidewise V favors E to SE
and puts me through
to say D68 or PY0F which has always been my weak direction.   Outside of the
intermod its now a problem of keeping them up.  There is no simple solution
and it depends on each individual location.   Near the beach simple antennas
work good, big tri-banders work wonders.  N4PN says his single tower and
wires for 80 and 160 at his Florida Island location work as well as his big
arrays and 1/4 wave vertical from his old Atlanta QTH.

73 Dave K4JRB

> Hello David,
>
> I have been following with interest the discussion of top loading, short
> verticals and now small lots. Compromise is compromise... now how do you
> make the best of a lousy situation. That is the real question.  You may
have
> 20 acres and no cash for a large array to take advantage of the real
estate.
> My particular situation is a small lot, lots of cash and no time. Help me
> solve the time problem please...73, Ed - N5NUG
>
> UniHAT Corporation
> 214-352-4623(o), 214-505-6835(m)
> http://home.ix.netcom.com/~n5nug/index.html

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,