[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tower Installation Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tower Installation Questions
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:47:00 -0600
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 Jon Ogden <jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com> writes:

> Howdy all,

> I have already installed a house bracket near the peak of my house.
> The bracket is fastened to a 2x8 inside my attic which is lag bolted
> into the studs.  The 2x8 is about 10 feet long so the load on the house

> bracket is well distributed across the studding in the house.  Going
> down from  there, the tower goes through a hole in my deck to the
> patio below.  Now,  this is> where the first problem came in.
Obviously,
> putting the base in  concrete is the best way to go.  However, having
> a cement patio already in place  and not  wanting to rip it up, this is

> not really possible.  There are two  options  that I have come up with
> from talking to others.  The one I am  leaning towards is to use a
> Rohn BP25G drive in base with the three 2 foot  drive rods.
> I'd cut three 1.5 to 2 inch holes in the concrete and drive  the rods
> into the ground there.  The other idea that another ham friend had
> would be to get a flat base plate and bolt the tower base into the
> concrete  slab.  I like the first option of driving the base into the
> ground the best.
>
> So I pretty much have the base and house bracket situation figured
> out unless anyone can tell me why either of these are bad ideas.  Now
> for the  rest and most difficult part of the project.  I have a total
of 53
> feet of tower sections.  The house bracket is located about 21 feet
above
> the base of the tower.

        I would opt for a flat base plate and a single large
        bolt in the center to hold the plate in place.  Almost
        all of the forces at the base are DOWNWARD.

        (A base plate on earth WILL RUST and so will the
        tower legs.  I have such a tower base from a removal.)

> Question 1: Do I need to guy the tower above the house bracket?

        YES   YES  YES

> But then that brings up question 2:  What would be the best way to
> guy the> tower?  This is a loaded question.  I really don't have the
> real-estate or proper yard layout to do a "technically perfect" guy
> installation.   I will through out what I have in mind here and let
> the experts on this  list tell me if it is good or not.
>
> One guy point I can run a good long length off the back side of the
> tower out into a wooded area in my back yard.  I am pretty confident
> that  this guy point would be very good and work well.  The wooded
> area of my back  yard does rise in elevation compared to the rest
> of the yard and is  actually around the same elevation as my rooftop
> (about 22 feet higher than  the rest of the yard).

        Not a problem.

> Now, I have to figure out where to put the other two guys.  Well,
> they'd need to be attached through the roof of the house.  Is this
> a good  or a bad idea?  My plan would be to bolt 2x4's or 2x6's
> across several roof  joists in the house.  Then I'd pass a large eye
> bolt through the roof and  fasten the eye bolt into those boards.
> That would comprise my guy point.  Is  this a good idea?
> Is it a safe idea?

        Sounds reasonable to me.  You do not have a BIG load
        so ANY guy is better than NO guy.   N4KG

        Is your house one or two stories?  I have seen people
        put a metal pole up next to and attached to the the edge
        of the roof with the guy attached to the pole just above
        the roofline.

> Due to the size of the house and width of the roof, I have to chose
> between the length of the guy wires and the angle at which they
> come off the  tower.
> The wider the angle between the guy wires, the shorter the wires
> will need
> to be and the narrower the angle off the tower.  The narrower the
> angle
> between the guy wires, the longer they will be and the wider the
> angle off
> the tower.  Does this make sense?  I need to have some advice about
> where I
> should or should not put them or what is optimal.

        You need to have the guys as close to 120 degrees
        apart as possible.

> I'm not so concerned about whether or not these guy points will hold
> with the antennas that I have.  I think they will.  I am more concerned

> about their strength when I am working on the tower itself and am
> climbing  up it.

        GOOD  THINKING

> OK, I think I've pretty much laid out my situation.  Any advice
> would be appreciated.  Now, I have a couple of final questions.
>
> 1.) Is a Tower Jack a good investment to purchase?

        Useful but not necessary.  Be sure to fit all sections
        together ON THE GROUND before raising them.
        You may want to mark the joint number and orientation
        for ease of assembly.

> 2.) Is there anything I can use as a substitute for a gin pole or do
> I need to find one to borrow or purchase?

        A gin pole is the SAFE way to proceed.
        See Rohn, WB0W, or make your own.

> 3.) Would a Hazer be a good idea to circumvent climbing of the
> tower?

        If you are terrified being on a tower, then a Hazer may
        be for you.  Climbing a 50 ft safely guyed tower is
        NO BIG DEAL so I would skip the Hazer.

> Additionally, how would the hazer work on a guyed tower and with
> additional antennas mounted on the side of the tower?

        You'd have to remove the side mounted antennas and guys.

> 4.) Are kevlar guy wires recommended and are they worth their extra
> cost?

        Either that or break up steel guys with insulators and wraps.

> 5.) What's the best climbing hardware to get?

        The new standard is a full body harness.
        I've done all my tower work with a simple nylon belt
        and TWO lanyards.      Tom  N4KG