[TowerTalk] Round vs. Flat

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Round vs. Flat
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:33:52 -0700
Hi Gary,
Dan's answer about using the "round" tower area rating for cylindrical antenna
members is right.

You don't want to be using that old 9.4 sq ft "effective area" for the TH7.

You want to use the projected area, which is 11.5 sq ft for the elements, 4.1
sq ft for the boom.
Roger Cox, at the original Hygain, corrected the area figures for many of their
antennas, and
notified TT in a post on Aug 18, 1998.

The old Hygain website had this information. The new MFJ/Hygain website is
being reconstructed, and
the information is not currently available. Hopefully, it won't get lost in the
shuffle.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

http://yagistress.freeyellow.com

Gary B wrote:

> I am making the final decisions on my tower.  I have selected the Trylon
> T-600 self-supporting tower.  However, Trylon specs show Projected Surface
> Area loading as a function of 'round' or 'flat'.  While the terminology
> appears to define itself, I cannot say with any confidence that I know what
> is meant.  I plan to use a Telex/HyGain TH7.  Does any TT'er know if this
> antenna (rated at 9.4 sq ft) is 'round' or ''flat'?  The specs in the
> instruction manual make no mention of round or flat.  In the generic sense,
> what does Trylon mean?   (I have not seen this thread appear previously on
> this reflector.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary B
> k3gb