[TowerTalk] D40 really works!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] D40 really works!
From: ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca (Mike & Coreen Smith)
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:11:26 -0300
WOW, I'm blown away by this D40 and it's still light out here in NB yet!
(d-layer absorption IOW)
Upon closer inspection, it would seem my comparison antenna's (Delta Loop,
full wave) top is only at about the 45-48' level and the ground is also
about 5-10' lower than where my D40's tower is.  This makes the delta-loop
roughly 15-20' "lower" than the D40 (perhaps not a fair comparison). Also
the lower part of my delta loop is only about 5' off the ground, buried in
thick trees.

Either way, the D40 @ 54' is always 10-20dB louder than the loop. DX and
local signals both.
So far I can't see any real, <what I would call 'deep'> nulls off the end of
the D40 however.

Perhaps the 4-5' distance it's away from the long 6m beam is upsetting its
pattern, or a close pair of BIG 6m beams on a
very nearby tower is messing it up a shade too.

Have not had time yet to run checks for the SWR/pattern curves  on the
existing TH6DXX or 6m beam yet, with the
new installation.

I'm pumped!

BTW, it beats my 17M inverted vee on the band by the same amount (10-20dB),
though my Vee is only at the 30' level ;-)

VE9AA , Mike

Dit dit

Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith
(VE9AA,  VE9AAA & Baby-VE9)