[TowerTalk] Dipping with 259B and such

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipping with 259B and such
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:04:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/01 12:13:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, info@cal-av.com
writes:

<<
 Yes! or the Measurements corp. (Boonton) Model 59, or the
 PRM-10, the Navy version.  They are all basically
  the same, using a real acorn tube osc. and going up
  to 400+ MHz.  Vert sensitive, and a joy to use.
 Handle one of these once, and the modern transistor
 version will begin to gather dust from that day forward.
 73, Ken

Right on Ken.  I've manged to hoard a few Millens.  Another good one is a
surplus version AN/PRM-10 made by the Stanford electric Co. Conn and it's
very sensitive also 2-400 MHz.  The tough one to grid dip is a quarter wave
of coax at 144/450MHz using just a short hair pin short across the center
lead to the shield.  This "short short" adds the least inductance and error
but gives the least coupling to the GD.  To grid dip a 1/4 wave at 160M you
need a 1 turn loop around the coil to get enough coupling.  This short loop
is insignificant in length compared to a WL on 160M.  A 1/2 loop is all that
is needed on 40M. k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----