[TowerTalk] Useful life of small Universal Aluminum Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Useful life of small Universal Aluminum Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:36:51 -0600
I am still using a 40 ft Heights Aluminum Tower
that my father first installed around 1965.  It supports
a TH7 with one set of guys and survived estimated
80-90 MPH winds from a small tornado and another
straight line wind event.

Disassembly was "interesting" since several of the legs
had fused together.  Two of them pulled apart using a
car jack to facilitate separation (the leg ripped in two
while the joint remained fused) and had to be welded
back together.

A combination of heat applied to the outer leg and cold
water applied to the inner leg may help loosen the joints.
You may want to install temporary guys for additional safety.

I recommend appling NO-AL-OX or Penetrox to the joints
during reassembly and taping the joints to prevent water
ingress.  I never have understood why Heights and Universal
taper the lower part of the leg inside the wider upper end,
allowing water to flow into the joint vs. the more traditional
method of tapering the top so that the upper section forms
a hood over the joint.  DUMB !

Tom  N4KG