[TowerTalk] Will-Burt dropping Tri-Com amateur tower line

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Will-Burt dropping Tri-Com amateur tower line
From: w8ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:27:31 -0400

Don't take "leaving the amateur market" too literally.  I spent
some time talking with my contacts at Will-Burt on Monday (my
business is a large user of their pneumatic mast product).  Will-
Burt are simply not ready to sell a complete amateur product
line at this time for several reasons.

1) the demand for their trailer mounted towers used in the cellular,
   construction and military/government markets is overwhelming.

2) documentation for the amateur line was very much lacking.  The
   amateur products had been produced almost by tribal lore for
   some time.  It was not possible to simply go back to the old
   drawings and the commercial demand has kept their staff too
   busy to do the necessary design and documentation work.

3) there were significant problems with the amateur distribution
   system they inherited.  I notice the former "manufacturers
   representative" for amateur product has been dropped from the
   listings on the Will-Burt web site.

At some point I fully expect Will-Burt (TriEx) to be back in
the amateur market.  I don't expect to see that until Will-Burt
can get caught up with the demands of the commercial and
government markets (particularly since every government agency
is now in crisis mode).  I plan to visit the Will-Burt facility in
Orrville, OH sometime in the next six weeks and will report any
information I can gather then.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,