[TowerTalk] Ideal 40m Wire Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ideal 40m Wire Antenna
From: jaw@lion.cc (jaw@lion.cc)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:22:31 +0200
Dear OM Tim !

I had a 60 feet guyed mast with a 5 element yagi (20/15/10) on top of it some
years ago. For 40 Meters I built a 4 element sloping dipole using this mast a a
support. Of course it was necessary to change the guylines from metallic ropes
to some nonconductive material.

The Antenna itself was 4 (shortened) dipoles spaced at 90 degree. Part of the
feedline (coax) is used to make one element the driven element and the other
three to work as reflectors. So you get good directivity and a verly low angle
of radiation without the need of an extensive radial-system. By flipping a
switch you can instantly change direction, which proved to be very usefull in
contests.

I used a quarterwave-vertical before and the 4 el sloper was really an
improvement.

I described this antenna in Ham-Radio-Magazine. If you would like to get more
information, just send me your address and I will ship you a copy of this
article. Some information on such an antenna can also be found in the
ARRL-Antenna Handbook.

73s

Juergen - OE5CWL

> Von: "Tim Makins,  EI8IC" <ei8ic@eircom.net>
> Datum: 2001/09/26 Wed PM 07:25:04 CEST
> An: "Antennas" <antennas@qth.net>
> CC: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Betreff: [TowerTalk] Ideal 40m Wire Antenna
>

> Gentlemen,
>
> Assume you have a guyed 80' mast (not a tower).
>
> What would be the best wire antenna you would put on it, for 40m Dxing ?
>
> Tim, EI8IC

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----