[TowerTalk] House/antenna/tower grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] House/antenna/tower grounding
From: mike@elfinmagic.com (MikeB)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 15:58:35 -0500
I have an example of a question that deals with the single point ground
idea.  If my house were a square 40 feet on each side and the top side
is side 1 the right side is side 2 the bottom side 3 and the left side
4.  My electrical service is midpoint on the top side (1), the tower is
10 feet to the right of the electrical service and the coax needs to go
around the house to the middle of side 2, the right side.

I want to try and do a single point ground system if possibile.  I have
a ground rod in the ground currently at the side of the house where the
coax comes in, and I can put another ground rod by the base of the tower
if it would be a good thing, and maybe another at the corner of the top
and right side of the house, where sides 1 and 2 meet.  With all of
these rods where would be the best place to define as the single
point???  If I declare it to be where the coax comes into the house I
would need about 30 feet of wire to get to the electrical service
running outside the house and about 20 feet to get to the base of the
tower but the point would be very close to the bulkhead where the
polyphaser devices are.  The other 2 possibilitys are obviously at the
tower base or the electrical service ingress with long wires going to
the other points.

I am assuming I would disconnect the electrical service from the cold
water ground where it is currently connected.

Is there a better way to look at this?

Details, tower is 50 feet tall, and there may be other smaller towers
(pipes really holding up the 144, and 432 j-pole antennas at ~30 feet)
along the right side of the house between the tower on the top and the
coax ingress on the right side.

Thanks for all your thoughts

Mike
KB0OZN