[TowerTalk] Re: Force12

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Force12
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:37:12 -0400
Judge,

The beam you are referring to is the K8CC (not W8CC) Yagi.

One had to be very careful adding "clap trap" to a specific design without
understanding the originators design intent. In this case, this particular
Yagi is designed to be a high performance Yagi for 28--28,7 MHz, mostly for
winning DX contests, and is NOT intended for operation above 28.7. Above
28.7 MHz, the pattern blows up and the VSWR skyrockets! Trying to change
the feed system etc. is not the way to improve bandwidth!

Let me be more specific. As a quick first cut on the K8CC 5 element
10-meter Yagi on my modeling program, this particular antenna can be easily
modified by just moving the driven element forward to 100" or so and
slightly increasing the length of the driven element. The pattern etc. will
not be significantly degraded but what will happen is that the driven
element impedance will rapidly increase to 40 Ohms or higher (depending on
how far forward you go). Then all one has to do is to center feed the
driven element with a few ferrite beads on the coax and voila, a great
wideband Yagi.

This is all explained in my article Yagi/Uda Antenna Design, A Different
Approach" in Communicatons Quarterly, Winter 1998, pp. 49-60.

The bottom line is that if you want to increase the bandwidth of a Yagi
antenna, the best way is to look at the design first and modify the model
if needed before you start to add all these exotic matching systems.
Simplest is usually best!

73,

Joe, W1JR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,