[TowerTalk] Shredded Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shredded Ground
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:04:07 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/01 11:07:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jimsmith@home.com writes:

> 1.    Can I just solder a new piece on?  Lightning isn't an issue in
>  the Vancouver area but the joint may be underground.

    Nonetheless the West Coast still averages five lightning days per year.
Here in Washington State, we might get 800 strikes in King County during one
lightning day so don't underestimate it.

    Solder isn't an approved ground connection method. The two code compliant
methods are either compression or exothermic bonding (like CadWeld).

>  2.   If ordinary solder is questionable, how about silver solder?

    For other outdoor applications, silver solder is recommended. Silver
oxide is a conductor where nickel and other oxides are not.

>  3.   Other suggestions?

    W5KP gave  a good suggestion using compression by making a copper
sandwich to bond the two pieces. Be sure to use antioxidant where the
surfaces mate.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech