[TowerTalk] Ground Systems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Systems
From: davidw@copper.net (David J. Windisch)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:45:46 -0400
I posted a similar msg to other groups, and now this one, to get a wide
selection of ideas:

This week, I bought a house on the north end of a flat 1-acre "mesa" plot,
at around 900' ASL, on old farmland.   It's a long sad story .. for another
time.

I can put up ALL sorts of verticals, towers, etc. without wife, neighbor,
airport, or zoning interference.   I'll get permits, naturally.

Because I have around 50000ft of #12 bare copper wire, I could run real
radials for a vert or two.

The antenna conundrum is this:

I want to experiment anywhere within the ground-system area, a difficult
thing to do with a standard-configuration radial system.

If it's a better thing to do, I'd prefer to install a grid of wires in the
130ft E/W X 200ft N/S rectangular field south of the dwelling, say, 65 wires
on the
shorter, and 100 on the longer, side, and soldered at all crossings.  I'd
use those foot-long galvanized spikes at the ends as hold-downs.

I can put ground-screens under any vertical bases.

This would define and stabilize the "local" grd under any antennas, vertical
or horizontal, WRT feed-Z, lightning, whatever --- correct?

Is the idea good-bad-indifferent, and why, pls .. ?

TIA!

73, Dave, K3BHJ

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----