[TowerTalk] Crimp connectors [Was Crappy PL-259s]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimp connectors [Was Crappy PL-259s]
From: brewerj@squared.com (brewerj@squared.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:52:51 -0500

Gary,
I think I agree with you, but I think you're wrong in a couple
specifics....

>>   [BIG snip]
>>
>>  "The use of crimp PL259 is wonderful!"
>>

>By definition, a crimp connector is a mechanical (AKA compression)
>connector.  It relies on the compression to maintain physical contact
>between the connector and the medium.  This physical contact is the sole
>basis for BOTH electrical contact and physical strength.  Do you use
>crimp-on (no solder)fixtures for your water service at your house?  No?

YES! Almost all new homes use crimp on piping...(plastic pipe, crimp on
copper alloy rings, brass fittings). All the electrical is twist on
(which is not even as good as crimp splices!)

I'm not sure I'd use crimp on outside, but for inside use, I'd think
a correctly crimped "gas tight" crimp might be just as good as a
soldered 259. I'd trust the center conductor crimp, I'd be a little leery
of the braid crimp.

Personally, I'll solder mine on, but I'd not toss out properly crimped
on connectors for inside use. Unfortunately GOOD crimp tools cost a LOT
of money. The ones I have from AMP, for BNC use were over $200.

Respectfully,

John wb5oau/4

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----