[TowerTalk] terminated vee beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] terminated vee beam
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:21:56 -0500
Hi Con,

In the early 1980's, I constructed a broadband receiving type "sloping
terminated V-Beam" for use on US Navy receiving sites in the 2-30 MHz
region. It had a few neat innovations and worked quite well. It was
duplicated at several receiving stations.

Basically, the legs were about 50 meters long and sloped from about 15-20
meters at the feed point to about 3 meters at the termination ends. The
apex angle was between 45 and 60 degrees (depended on installation). The
terminations were 400 Ohms at each leg to a ground stake. We used two 200
Ohm 2 Watt carbon composition non-inductive resistors at each leg to ground.

Perhaps the most interesting item was the feed system. I wound a Ruthruff
type 8:1 transformer (quintafilar wound). This was equivalent to an 800 Ohm
to 50 Ohm transformer. This allowed a 50 Ohm match with a reasonable low
VSWR over a wide bandwidth.

I hope this helps you.

73,

Joe, W1JR