[TowerTalk] Workman UVS-300

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Workman UVS-300
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:44:27 -0600
Fellow Towertalkians,

I just bought a 2m/70cm colinear antenna from Workman.  I got it at a ham
fest from a guy who had about half a dozen of them in original wrappers.
What a disappointment.

Attempts to load it on 2m met with great results at 141 MHz and pityfull
results on 2m.  The SWR is about 12:1 and seemingly no hopes of tuning it.
A visit to the Workman website results in exactly zero info.  No phone
numbers/address info.  No tech support.  No FAQs of any meaning unless I
want to be a dealer.

I've heard tell that these have caps in the base of the unit for matching.
Mine has blue 1.5KV caps.  Other people have complained that ceramic caps
were used on their units only to have them fail at power levels over 50
watts.

Without docs, this appears to be quite worthless.  Anybody got a clue as to
how they are supposed to work?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,