[TowerTalk] using 25g for boom

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] using 25g for boom
From: poster@gate.net (Jack)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:40:49 -0500
Ive been thinking of making a large quad on a long boom multiband. I was

thinking
it would be nice to just use a 20 or 25G tower sections for a boom and
eliminate
the need for spiders and high cost booms that seem to be the first thing

to break.
I was looking at some sketchings I made and using a tower section which
is a
triangle and it makes the spreaders go out at a diffrent angle then if
you use a
normal spider X angles.
The element becomes taller then it is wider vise versa if turned because

of the triangle shape boom tower. It would be easy to attach the
spreaders on to it, they just would be a
a diffrent angle then the old way. There might be a way I can make a
spider to fit
the tower and use the original angle quads use. I haven't come up with
one yet.

What do you think the effects would be on the patteren if any. The tower

boom
would cut down the cost alot since no spiders would be needed and a high

cost
boom. I can sometimes get 25g  for nothing from people around here.

Just a thought to get this big Quad up in the air. I plan to have a 48ft

boom maybe longer
using the tower stuff with
10el on 10 and 12 with it own driven element
5el for 15-17-20 and its own driven element
4 el for 30 and 40 with its own driven.

Hope you might have some ideas to throw at it?

Jack
Bradenton, Fla

WB4ROY

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,