[TowerTalk] 4 Square Performance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 Square Performance
From: abowen@nettally.com (ABowenN4OO)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:44:55 -0500
I do not disagree with any of the recent comments on this subject. I have
the 2 el CC at 70 ft and it does a great job, but turning it is somewhat
tedious.

I do wish to make an observation however. GM3POI, G4BUO, G3SYM and G4BUE
have all using been 4 square 40M arrays during the past year or longer. My
observation has been that their signals have been head and shoulders above
others in western Europe, enough so that it is remarkable.

I also recognize that their locations may be unique, that their local
planning commissions do not like high towers, that I do not have any A-B
comparisons with a high dipole and that anecdotal observations are not
always accurate. GM3POI would probably have a loud signal no matter what
antenna he uses, considering the nearby saltwater. Nevertheless, we have
some examples of 40M, 4 square arrays that appear to work very well.

In addition, they have a better chance of surviving the gale force winds
that sometimes sweep over parts of the UK.

INK N4OO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----