[TowerTalk] Equipment grounding - in shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Equipment grounding - in shack
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:15:27 EST
In a message dated 11/15/01 10:04:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Bgsalesmel@cs.com writes:

> Had always read that everything should be grounded to this single point.
>  Looking at my RCS-4 coax switch, MFJ P/S, and Ham rotor controller I don't
>  see any "Gnd" connection points provided - yet their diagrams show "earth
>  ground" symbols. What is the drill here? Just remove a screw from the
covers
>  and insert a full ring connector for a ground wire to then be
run/attached?

    The purpose of a Single Point Ground System (or any  ground system for
that matter) is to keep lightning transients and charges OUT of the building
and away from equipment so the cables to the aforementioned equipment are
what needs to be connected to the Single Point. Then the potential transient
damage entry point for this equipment is the power coming into the house
which ideally would have its own transient protection. Or unplug them in
event of a thunder storm.

    Here on the West Coast we have very little lightning activity compared to
just about everywhere else so you don't need anything elaborate for a minimal
ground system.

    The aforementioned equipment meets grounding codes via their 3-pronged
power plugs so I wouldn't necessarily do anything more to them; you might run
into a ground loop by connecting them all together anyway.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,