[TowerTalk] Did we learn old wives' tales?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Did we learn old wives' tales?
From: Ron KA4INM Youvan" <ka4inm@qsl.net (Ron KA4INM Youvan)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:52:57 -0500
Hi all:
> It says to ground the box with solid copper wire.  "Woven or braided wire
> has higher RF resistance than solid connectors".  Is this true?

  Flat strap followed by hollow copper tubing are best, braid last
because of the inductance derived from the weaving and lack of
lateral conductivity.

> "Adequate lightening protection can be obtained by burying coaxial
> feedlines directly in the ground for 20 feet (or more) before the feedline
> enters the building.
snip
> So how does burying the feedline work?
Snip

  I tried to measusre the insulation resistance of RG-8U cables's
vinyl jacket, (with a Hi-potter) it was too leakey to measure,
so if the jacket is in the wet ground the static charge will be
bleed off, I am supprised they didn't mention having the feedlind
wound into a two foot diameter coil 3 or 4 turns, (seperated, not
touching each other) this would increase the impedance to ground
and lessen a strokes current through the feedlines.
(common at paging tower sites around here, 1" or smaller coax)

>  And nobody disconnects the telephone systems during a storm.

  There is no need to disconnect an orderary telephone from the LL
during a storm because it is not otherwise grounded.  Cordless
telephones and answering machines that require external power
seem to have short lives don't they?

  The confusor's MODEM connected to the LL during a storm is
the #1 cause of MOMMY board deaths here in central (west) Florida,
perhaps everywhere there is lightning.  I have a fire engine
RED handset cord with the connectors replaced with RJ-11 plugs
going to my modem across the desk in front of the monitor,
I can not forget to unplug it when I shut down, I have never
lost a modem or MOMMY board.

         73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
       Please visit my HAM web site at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,