[TowerTalk] HG-70HD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HG-70HD
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 21:17:43 -0600

While I don't have a crankup tower, I belong to a club which had a W-51.

After a time, it was too much trouble to lower the tower after any
on-the-air ops at the club station.

One night, a thunderstorm with a little wind microburst caused the tower
midsection to buckle bringing down the 2m vertical, 6-element 10m beam and
KT34A.  We were very fortunate that the tower section failed on the side
that it did.  Had it gone in either of two other directions, building damage
would have been sustained.  As it was, the vertical and mast were driven a
couple of feet into an open grassy area.

Had we had a motorized winch on the tower, I'm certain the operator(s) would
have taken the time and effort to lower it prior to leaving the club
station.  As it was, it was left up.

It seems to me that if a tower cannot be cranked up and down at least on a
few times on a weekly basis, then maybe one should consider another tower
manufacturer.

73,
dale, kg5u

> The comment about not raising and lowering too often hits me.  I
> had always
> thought that the crank-uo (and tiltover) tower was such so that
> it could be
> done at will.  I even read that one person cranked up at dusk and
> down when
> finished!
>
> To me why spend all that extra money and be not able to use the feature?
>
> Chris opr Ve7HCB
>
> At 12:38 PM 2001-11-22 -0500, K2we@aol.com wrote:
>

> >My LM-470D has been up for over 25 years. The secret is to limit
> the amount
> >of raising & lowering. It puts tremendous force on the cables.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----