[TowerTalk] water level

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] water level
From: w3svj@juno.com (w3svj@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:15:10 -0500
 <watch for heating along the length of the hose.  If one end is hotter
than the other, such as, most >

We were trying to establish a level line for two 100 foot or so rows of
suspended track light.

I used some 3/8 clear tubing filled with water that  was pretty hard to
see at that distance. I added a bit of dye or  food coloring to make the
line a more visible, it did.

The mistake was not to mix  a whole batch of the stuff and refill the
tube, I just (lazy) dropped some into the distant end.

Needless to say the specific gravity of the coloring agent at one end
changed the level line by a few inches. The lads picked up the error as
we sighted down the hanger rods. It was pretty easy to adjust but then
again, we weren't working with heavy metal in setting up concrete.

It's a handy and inexpensive way to match up elevations but make sure all
things are equal.

73 de W3SVJ