[TowerTalk] Identifying trapped vertical -- Follow-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Identifying trapped vertical -- Follow-up
From: blueis@sprintmail.com (blueis@sprintmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:02:30 -0500
Based upon the recommendations of a majority of respondees, I called Hy-Gain
this morning.  The personnel at Hy-Gain were quite helpful... although
unable to help.

Apparently, this company recently (?) purchased the Hy-Gain operation.  When
I gave the fellow the part numbers listed on the traps, he indicated that
these part numbers did not show up in his database.  Based on other bits of
description, Tom guessed that the vertical is an 18AVT.

Surprisingly, the (new) Hy-Gain 800-973-6572 cannot supply any replacement
parts for antennas of this vintage/age.  The black caps which seal the ends
of the traps, for instance, are now 1 7/8" as opposed to the 2" diameter
caps on my antenna.  Likewise, they do not have any top-mounted loading
coils.  However, I was able to order an 18AVT manual for a VERY nominal fee.

Are any of you aware of any company which sells top-loading coils or other
parts (such as the trap covers) for the old 18AVT?  Has anyone ever tried
using an 80m mobile on the vertical?  I guess this would be a prime time to
put my new MFJ-259B to use and play!

Thanks to all.

Gary B
k3gb