[TowerTalk] Looking for Ideas for Preserving Tower Legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Looking for Ideas for Preserving Tower Legs
From: FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com (FireBrick)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:23:47 -0600
Guys
This comes up frequently
Do what you want. For 30 years I was a Chicago Licensed contractor
specializing in restoration work.
Roofing cement belongs on roofs.
Do not put it on metal, wood, masonry (which includes concrete).

You want to protect metal, wire brush the rust, coat with a galvanizing
paint such as ColdGav or some such.
Then check and touch up every year.

Roofing cement will soon allow water in...but it won't let it out.
I'm sure some scientist can explain why it is that way.
I just know that I've had my guys start cutting through the layers only to
have copious amounts of water start flowing out.
If you are in a freezing area, that trapped water will do even more harm.