[TowerTalk] RF Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Ground
From: k4to@meginc.com (Dave Sublette)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:46:58 -0500
In my opinion it is not worth the trouble. Also...no need for 1/2"
radials, even if they are free. Save the tubing and find another use for
it.  #24 hook up wire would be just fine for radials. The more the
better. I operated with a roof mounted vertical and 100 #24 radials of
various lengths for 5 plus years from KX6DS. I think folks will tell you
that the antenna worked fine.

73,

Dave, K4TO
 ps...I still have the logs for KX6DS and KC6TO if anyone needs a
card...SASE please.

George Shaw wrote:

>Folks I have a question, and judging by the pass you all are so expert and
>helpful I have no doubt you will be able to answer with authority.
>
>I am going to mount a short 8' high tower on the roof (concrete) of a 14
>floor block of flats. On this will eventually mount some sort of small
>compact beam and rotator. In the interim I wish to mount a vertical. I don't
>believe that verticals don't need radials so I am thinking of making a RF
>ground/radial on the roof. I have been given access to a "free" supply of
>1/2" copper tube, ex water heating. I have read that it is better to have a
>flat section rather than a round section for the ground/radials. I am
>thinking of "flattening" the tube which would give approx 3/4" wide copper
>strip. Each strip would be 12ft long but could be easily joined/soldered to
>give any length. The strips would be laid directally on the top of the
>concrete roof.
>
>Has anyone ever used flattened tube? Is it effective? Could I arrange the
>radials in a grid rather than spoke fashion? If yes what size/spacing? What
>about overlap?  What effect would this have on EMI?
>
>Any ideas welcome.
>

>--
>George Shaw
>
>eMail:                          george.shaw@btinternet.com
>eMail:                          george.shaw@ukf.net
>Fax/Voice Mail:          +44 (0) 87 0133 6126
>Mobile:                       +44 (0) 77 4036 1163
>ICQ#:                          1741675
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----