[TowerTalk] Best wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best wire
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:58:34 -0500
> So if flex-weave is not the bees knees as per the adverts what is?
> What is the best wire out there to use for antenna work that meets
> strength, performance, and weather resistance regardless of cost?

The last thing in the world you want for an antenna wire is a woven
wire. It is a problem for RF resistance (although I can't say how
much of a problem) and most likely for overall life.

The vast majority of loss in a coaxial cable that is ruined from water
comes from the woven conductors in the braid getting tarnished,
and even clean dry fresh braid with a lay that is not at a sharp
angle with the current path has several times the resistance of a
solid smooth conductor the same size and using the same basic
materials.

With that in mind, we should never use braid and especially never
use densely woven wire unless the conductor needs to be flexible.
It is especially bad in high current applications like tank circuits,
ground leads, and lightning protection systems.

The best thing for RF resistance and life, where the wire is not
subjected to constant flexing, is a copper-clad steel (copperweld)
or hard-drawn copper solid wire.

I prefer either copperweld or pre-stretched solid copper wire for
antennas.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,