[TowerTalk] Hink and Kinks - Tower footwear

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hink and Kinks - Tower footwear
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:52:55 EST
In a message dated 12/17/01 4:39:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, kg5u@hal-pc.org
writes:

> >     I've stood on them for hours at a time and haven't had any
>  > problems. I'll
>  > bet you a nickel that the writer of this great "hint" doesn't have the
>  > correct footwear for tower work.
>
>  What IS the straight skinny on this topic, Steve?
>
>  I've been using my 25-year-old Vibram-soled hiking boots (yes! They still
>  fit).
>
>  They don't allow my feet to feel the rung when standing for short or long
>  periods.
>
>  The space between the treads are such that they lock the boot to the rung.
>
>  The boots are high enough above the ankle that I can't easily (and
>  comfortably) rotate my feet up and down a whole lot at the ankle.
>
>  Even though I have been using them for their intended purpose (hiking) a
>  good 10 years before I started climbing towers, they have been a great
>  tower-climbing tool for me.

    What you want are boots that have a solid footbed which is accomplished
by having a steel or fiberglass shank in the sole. Some work boots and
climbing/hiking boots have them. Hold the boot in both hands and try to bend
the sole. If it bends under the arch - it ain't suitable.

    I got started in the tower biz from my mountain climbing days so I've
always used my mountain climbing boots that had a stiff sole that you could
use with crampons.

    Of course if you're going to try to work on a tower with tennis shoes or
any other soft soled footwear, you're going to beat your feet up real fast.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,