[TowerTalk] Climbing a tower... NY stile :)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing a tower... NY stile :)
From: alex@sandlabs.com (alex)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:20:57 -0500
I got lost yesterday in the hills of Yonkers. At a stop light, I looked at
a 300 foot
Radio Station tower. Somebody was climbing it. It just appeared to me that
he was
doing it too fast for a human being. In the hope I just discovered the first
alien
on Earth, I turned right towards the tower. The 4 hard hats on the ground
were tending a large winch while looking to 2 video monitors. Knowing not to
interrupt them I started to inspect the tower. The climber was actually
standing on a small platform attached to a steel frame that was pulled by a
cable to the winch on the ground. The two video monitors were showing the
four special casters that were gripping the tower vertical pipes.

They actually had built an elevator on the tower :) The entire 300 foot
climb lasted less than 5 minutes :)

Once the man was securely up, we started to talk. Benny, the Crew Foreman
described in detail the lift saying it allows them do twice as much work in
a day
as without it.

I guess, need IS the mother of all inventions :)

Alex

===================================
If we can accept the notion that GUNS are
the killers and not the people, why is it that
we can not accept the idea that CARS are
the speeders and not the drivers?

Alex, trying to understand the world around.

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----